At Painter’s Collision Centers in Queen Creek and Chandler, AZ, we are proud to spray an environmentally responsible product like PPG Envirobase. We don’t have to use waterborne paint in Arizona because it’s not mandated. But, we choose to be as green as possible in everything we do, including recycling, energy conservation, and reducing waste.
Most people out there aren’t aware of the main differences between waterborne paint and solvent-based paint, so at Painter’s Collision Centers we want to share this information with our blog readers.
According to the paint experts at PPG, waterborne paint consists of primarily high solids, where the water acts as the principal carrier of the color instead of the solvents. Waterborne paint is much cleaner and will generate 25% less pollution than that of solvent paint and that is why more and more many body shops are currently using it.
More and more collision repair shops all over the country now use waterborne paint 100% of the time because it’s a safer product that reduces the overall impact to the environment while enabling shops to accurately match automotive OEM colors on every vehicle that they paint.
The top benefits of using a waterborne product includes:
- Strong resistance to both heat and abrasion.
- They always promote optimal adhesion.
- They feature low toxicity and help to cut down on air emissions.
- In many cases, they cost considerably less than solvent-based products and require zero additives, thinners and/or hardeners.
- Compared to standard solvent-based paints, less coating is often required to cover the same surface areas, thereby saving substantial time and money on every paint job.
- Spray guns can easily be cleaned with water or waterborne solutions and don’t require paint any thinners, acetones, and/or methyl acetate.
- Refinishers can use conventional application techniques with a wide range of waterborne paint products.
If you’re looking at the numbers, waterborne paint does cost a little more than solvent and requires process compliance. But in the end, it’s definitely much better for the environment. In short, it’s certainly a major win-win for collision repairers from NYC all the way to LA and everywhere in between (including Arizona!)
At Painter’s Collision Centers, we are a collision repair company that’s gladly responsible for protecting the planet, so that it will still be here for our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
So, whenever you take your car to be repaired at a body shop, always ask if they use waterborne paint. Paint technology has improved on so many levels over the years, and PPG has led the way with its waterborne Envirobase brand.
About Painters Collision Centers
Today’s vehicles are essentially large computers on wheels, so you need a collision repair company with the right tools, equipment, and training to diagnose and fix these sophisticated machines at a high level. At Painters Collision Centers, with two locations in Chandler and Queen Creek, AZ, we stress quality, transparency, and complete accountability. People praise us for being thorough and providing over-the-top customer service on every repair. When you hire us at Painters Collision Centers, you tap into our 35 years of cumulative experience in the collision repair industry. Owners Jim and Kelly Huard aren’t just in it to win it. They’re in it to be the best!
Sources: Parts and People and ABRN